What sign can you do?

John 6:30-35 If I wasn't in the same boat as these sinners following Jesus I would probably be laughing right in their face. I often wonder how Jesus kept from rolling on the grass laughing at what some people do. Today we hear the crowd ask Him, "What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you? What can you do?..." Is this not the same crowd who in verse 2 we are told - "followed him, because they saw the signs he was performing on the sick ."? Are these not the same people who in verse 14 " when they saw the sign he had done, they said, "This is truly the Prophet, the one who is to come into the world."? Yet still they seek a sign. However, they are not seeking a sign so that they might believe, they are wanting to be fed. Jesus worked a "sign" with the loaves and the fishes and now they want Him to do it again. Wisely, Jesus is using their bellies to get to their hearts; He is using earthly things to move them,

Top Ten List


In response to a challenge here is my Top Ten Reasons I Like Homeschooling. Please, this is not meant to offend, put down school teachers, make fun, etc. Nor is this list exhaustive. It's something I thought about during lunch and wrote down. Enjoy......


10. Guns are allowed and their proper use is taught

9. I can teach while I am in my pajamas (the students can wear theirs too)

8. Dogs and other pets are allowed in the classroom (in most cases)


6. The smell of fresh baked bread during math

5. Prayer is allowed and encouraged

4. Sword fighting during "recess"

3. The "facts of life" are taught naturally - livestock, pets, etc.

2. The teachers love each other and their students - in a self-sacrificing way

1. Parent / Teacher conferences (often resulting in increased enrollment!)


Comments

Sarah Reinhard said…
NOW, the commercial??? :)
James M. Hahn said…
That will take a bit more time and thought, and a budget, voice actors. Hmm, who could play me? Mel Gibson? We look alike but I am not sure about the voice thing. His is much higher, girlish like....
Sarah Reinhard said…
Sounds to me like you're going to back out of the challenge, take the easy way out...

Well, I should have known.

Do you think you can handle a girl, big guy? Do you think you're up for it? :)

Just think of that first tentative knock on the door...a BOY, asking her out.

But wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. I should point you first to --- drum roll --- the Changing of the Diapers.

As my dh says, "What am I supposed to DO?!?!?!?"

And I will just leave it at that. Too bad the discussion had to turn to girls, because I was really, really, REALLY looking forward to that commercial...
James M. Hahn said…
HOLD ON. I never said anything about not doing it. I just need a bit of time.

Girl? You really didn't need to go there. Think of what a girl would do to my image. Imagine the men that read this blog clicking on the shortcut on their desktop one morning to find....pink. It would be all over. God is merciful and I trust that He will do what is best....limit the female presence in this house to my beautiful wife.
Sarah Reinhard said…
To restrict yourself to boys is to forego the drama of tutus and butterfly kisses, to ignore the bouquets, and to not fully appreciate the torment - I mean the joy - of parenthood! :)

More time, that's what they all say...

OK, but I'm not forgetting...
Barbara said…
Great list. I can say for certain that a few of yours are a few of mine.

PS -- Sarah is right. The torments of parenting should not be restricted to parenting boys. After three boys, God gave us a girl and now the boys are learning the joys of teaching her to shoot basketball and make potty noises. Good fun!