What sign can you do?

John 6:30-35 If I wasn't in the same boat as these sinners following Jesus I would probably be laughing right in their face. I often wonder how Jesus kept from rolling on the grass laughing at what some people do. Today we hear the crowd ask Him, "What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you? What can you do?..." Is this not the same crowd who in verse 2 we are told - "followed him, because they saw the signs he was performing on the sick ."? Are these not the same people who in verse 14 " when they saw the sign he had done, they said, "This is truly the Prophet, the one who is to come into the world."? Yet still they seek a sign. However, they are not seeking a sign so that they might believe, they are wanting to be fed. Jesus worked a "sign" with the loaves and the fishes and now they want Him to do it again. Wisely, Jesus is using their bellies to get to their hearts; He is using earthly things to move them,

Self-tagged Meme

Sarah didn't tag me but I thought this looked fun.

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews? The Temperament God Gave You is a book that Nicole continually tells me I should read. Everyone in her family has read it. It is suppose to be an amazing book but I have no desire to start it. Actually, I am told that it is my temperament, melancholic, which makes me not want to read it. I probably know everything in it anyway!

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be? I would like to share an evening of homebrew and pipe smoking with Reepicheep from The Chronicles of Narnia, Tom Bombadil from The Lord of the Rings, and Mathias of Redwall. I don't what it says about me that two of the characters are mice but I have always had a love for stories about mice. We would discuss chivalry, poetry, and swordsmanship over a few good pints of my latest hombrew.

Come on, we’ve all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it? I can't honestly think of a book that I've fibbed about reading. There are plenty I've started but just couldn't finish.

As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realize when you read a review about it/go to ‘reread’ it that you haven’t? No, but I have gotten some books mixed up in this weird little brain of mine.

You’re interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why? (If you feel like you’d have to know the person, go ahead and personalize the VIP) The E-Myth Revisited Okay, this is a book for those wishing to start and grow a small business. However, so many of the concepts can be applied to everyday life. Reading this book helped me understand myself better and why I think and act the way I do. It gave me the ability to step back and recognize which of my stronger traits, personalities, influences was taking control at the time. Yeah, I guess it was my own version of The Temperament God Gave You, but I'm still NOT reading it!

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with? Like Sarah, I'd have to pick Latin as well. It is the base of so many other languages and it would be nice to read the documents of the Church in Latin, pray in Latin, and talk about people in Latin without them knowing what I'm saying (probably not the best reason I guess!)

A mischievous fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick? I have read The Screwtape Letters three or four times and I get something new out of it each time. I would gladly read this one every year.

I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What’s one bookish thing you ‘discovered’ from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)? I have discovered that there are many talented authors and that I will never have enough time to read everything I want or should.

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free. It is an old English library like the one in the Narnia movie with shelves from floor to ceiling (and a ladder on wheels). There is a fireplace with highback chairs sitting in front of it. On a table between the chairs is humidor for pipe tobacco and an array of pipes. The books are all first editions, hardback and signed by the author. Every book on the shelf is one that I will thoroughly enjoy even after reading ten times. My brother, G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, and J.R.R. Tolkien are all there to discuss the books after reading them. Hey, you said to let my imagination run free....

Comments

Matt said…
I have not read the notorious temperment book...I have skimmed only. I just needed to set the record straight. Thanks. B-I-L