Skip to main content

I'm Number One

Doesn't sound like a very humble title for this post but you'll understand when you finish reading.

In 1996 I was accepted into the IBEW JATC - International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Join Apprenticeship Training Committee. Yeah, its a fancy way of saying I became an apprentice electrician.

During this six year ordeal we were often encouraged to give blood when the Red Cross came to visit. As one journeyman electrician told us, "you can give blood out of your arm or out of your nose but one way or the other you're giving blood." Needless to say, I gave blood. What choice did I have? Plus it got us out of class.

During one of these sessions, or perhaps it was another event altogether, we were asked to consider becoming candidates for becoming a bone marrow donor. I signed up without giving it any thought and forgot about it completely until earlier this fall.
In October I received a phone call telling me that I was a possible match for a 21 year-old male with Leukemia. It took me a while before I finally realized what they were telling me because that had been about 10 to 12 years ago. In that time I had moved 4 times, had 3 different phone numbers, got married, etc. I was amazed that they could track me down. Maybe a bit scared too. Homeland security should consult them on their procedures!

I agreed to give more blood samples and did so in November. I received a call in early December telling me that I was one of just a few that the doctor thought would work well for this young man. In fact, I was the second in line. They asked me about my medical history and wanted to know if I was planning on doing any travel, etc., in case they needed to get in touch with me.

I never thought much more about it until Tuesday when they called me at work and told me that the #1 person had not worked out and that now I was at the top of the list if I was still interested. I told them I was and so here I am, nervous but excited at the possibility of being able to help save a life.

They don't want my bone marrow so as of right now it won't be a surgery. Rather, they want my stem cells. After a phone consultation this Friday and a complete physical next week I will begin receiving a series of shots. The drug I will get is supposed to make my body produce a large amount of these specific stem cells. After 5 days of this I will go in so that they can remove the excess cells. In simple terms, they'll take the blood out of my body through one location. It will then pass through a machine that will extract the stem cells and the blood will return into my body through another location.

I am nervous so I ask for your prayers. The drugs are pretty much guaranteed to make me feel pretty crappy for a while so my family will need your prayers as well. I'll try to keep everyone up to date on the process over the next month or so and hopefully with God's grace this will save a life. What a great opportunity to imitate Christ! I am thankful for it. Thanks for the prayers!

Comments

Matt said…
W O W. I'll pray for you and the family and look into joining.
James M. Hahn said…
Thanks for the prayers.
SRMcEvoy said…
James that is fantastic. I had the opportunity to donate a year and a half ago. I wrote a three part series for the university newspaper:

Part 1


Part 2


Part 3


And just this past fall the recipient and I exchanged emails and a followup article ran today.

Prayers for all involved.

Steven
scmom (Barbara) said…
Prayers for you and your family. Before kids, I worked for the American Red Cross in blood services and had hopes that I would be a bone marrow match, but never have been. I used to donate white cells and platelets for patients with diseases such as ALL, and preemies in need of CMV negative blood products (you may be familiar with those from Catherine's hospital stay). It is a wonderful thing to be able to donate, freely and fairly painlessly, to sustain life in another person. God bless you.
Coletta said…
Praying :)
thank you for the rosary bracelet and the rosary keychain.

Your intentions are on my wrist :)
and in my heart.

I also love the CD on Mary and Conversion. I will be ordering the books and hope to interest local Catholic bookstore in ordering them from you also.

God Bless you guys-

Popular posts from this blog

2016 Rosary-A-Day Giveaway

That's right!  For the month of October we will be giving away one of our handcrafted cord knot rosaries each day during the month of October, the month of the Rosary.

For your chance to win, simply send an email to (webmaster@realliferosary.com) with the words "Rosary-A-Day" in the subject line.  Each day we'll randomly pick a name to win a free "surprise me" (our choice of colors) rosary.  We'll also be giving away some copies of Rosary Meditations for Real Life throughout the month from those names submitted.  Make sure to not be selfish, share the love and let others know!  Good luck!

One winner per household.  Please enter only once, you will receive an email confirming your entry.  Multiple entries from one email address will be deleted. Any order through our site will qualify you for a second entry. Your email will stay in until you win or until the end of the month.  US residents only please unless you are willing to pay the $15 shipping.  Than…

Catherine's Mobile Stander

I've once again learned to not underestimate this girl.  At school she has been receiving therapy using this stander to help her gain strength and stamina.  We brought it home for the summer and I'm simply blown away.

I'm amazed at how proficient she is at maneuvering such a device.  She is able to roll around corners, through doorways, over carpet and more.  Catherine makes it look easy and she does so with the hand-eye coordination of a professional gamer.



However, what really amazes me is her disposition when she is in this contraption.  There are tons of books and videos addressing the power of posture, the power of physical positioning and it's influence on the mental position and mental health.  
These short (35 minute) sessions that Catherine experiences twice per day confirms the theories.  Each time she is placed in the stander her demeanor changes.  She's happy, smiles more (if that's possible) and is more outgoing.  She wheels around the house greet…

Take Up Your Cross

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

In the First Reading, Moses challenges the people, and us, to "choose life". He says, "choose life, that you and your descendants may live." This seems pretty practical. If we choose life, we and our descendants will go on. If not, well...

However, I think we need to look deeper. In fact, I would encourage you to insert a word here in the scriptures, if only mentally - "choose eternal life." For most of us, choosing life is not much of a choice in the arena of our daily lives. Most of us do not rise in the morning with the thought of I'm going to choose to live this day racing through our brains. Yet choosing eternal life must be an everyday, and in fact every moment, choice. It is an effort to make those choices day after day and minute after minute. In some degree, every choice we make throughout our day is a choice for either eternal life or eternal death - therefore choose life!

So how then do we "choo…