Friday, January 28, 2011

My Mystic Monk Mug

I love my coffee.  Okay, that's a bit of an understatement.  I live for my coffee and in return my coffee helps me to live.  I don't drink large quantities but I do insist on it being good coffee, well brewed.  For a long time I was a drip man before I converted to the stove-top percolator.  If you've never had percolator coffee, I highly suggest giving it a chance.

The problem for me with the percolator is that I would indeed drink the entire pot over the course of about 5 hours.  I would make the coffee in the morning and then simply keep the burner on low and drink it throughout the day.  I realized though that a whole pot was simply too much.

After that I switched to the single cup Melita coffee maker.  This little genius of a invention was great.  With the assistance of the microwave I could have a steaming hot cup of coffee in a few minutes with no mess.  I was happy with that little system until my wife changed everything with her loving Christmas gift.

While browsing the coffee selection at Mystic Monk Coffee I noticed that they had a neat new coffee mug and mentioned to Nicole that I would like to get one some day.  She remembered and purchased one for me for Christmas.

This mug is awesome, did I mention I love coffee?  To make a perfect cup of coffee I fill the mug with water and then pour that in a microwaveable measuring cup and heat it to boiling.  In the meantime I place two tablespoons of coffee in the mug.  When the water is ready I pour it right into the coffee mug on top of the grounds.  I let it set for a few minutes and then place the lid on top.  The lid has a screen plunger that pushes all the grounds to the bottom and leaves you with a perfect cup of coffee.  The best part, for me, is that there is a secret compartment in the bottom where you can store enough coffee for 1-2 more cups of coffee.  This works out perfect for me.  I fix a mug before leaving for work and then in the afternoon when I'm ready for the next cup, all I need is some hot water.  I would highly recommend the Mystic Monk Press!

No comments: