What sign can you do?

John 6:30-35 If I wasn't in the same boat as these sinners following Jesus I would probably be laughing right in their face. I often wonder how Jesus kept from rolling on the grass laughing at what some people do. Today we hear the crowd ask Him, "What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you? What can you do?..." Is this not the same crowd who in verse 2 we are told - "followed him, because they saw the signs he was performing on the sick ."? Are these not the same people who in verse 14 " when they saw the sign he had done, they said, "This is truly the Prophet, the one who is to come into the world."? Yet still they seek a sign. However, they are not seeking a sign so that they might believe, they are wanting to be fed. Jesus worked a "sign" with the loaves and the fishes and now they want Him to do it again. Wisely, Jesus is using their bellies to get to their hearts; He is using earthly things to move them,

Kids & Energy Drinks (re-post)

Please Read The Fine Print (Click Picture)
My son came bounding down the stairs, "hey dad, I forgot to tell you something."  Before I had a chance to even begin to wonder where this story was going he continued, "just so you know, we were being safe when we were doing this..."

I have heard boys described as - all throttle and no rudder.  That indeed is a great description.  I have done some pretty crazy things and I have watched my sons do some crazy things.  For instance, I've seen my boys put pillowcases over their heads and run full speed down a hallway only to have this look on their face that says, "I didn't know that would happen" when they run smack into a wall.

The older I get, the more I wish I had the energy of youth.  To be able to run nonstop all day long, ready for anything is a dream of mine.  My kids seem like they have their own little nuclear generator inside that supplies endless energy.  As generations have said before, "I wish I could bottle that stuff and sell it."

I was trying to design a kid-sized hamster wheel, hooked to a generator, when I read this article about the dangers of children and teens drinking energy drinks.  Two questions popped into my tiny pea-brain..."who in the heck would give kids an energy drink?" and "Why would any kid need an energy drink?"  Kids are energy.  They are little balls of liquid and bone energy.  I firmly believe that the constant movement of kids keeps the earth rotating on its axis, and they are probably, in some way, partly responsible for "the big bang."  ( I don't know how, I just have a feeling.)

So, I thought I'd try to come up with some rational explanations as to why anyone would give any child or teen an energy drink.  Why only a list of 7 things?  I'm old and in desperate need of a cup of coffee or an energy drink.  Plus I need to go buy my kids a case of Red Bull so I can power that hamster wheel thing.

Reasons People Might Give Kids Energy Drinks
7. They are Terrorists - Ply enough kids with these drinks and they will destroy anything and everything they touch.
6. They Don't Have Kids - I thought about this one for a while but if this is the excuse it only stands to reason that these folks don't a have a soul either.
5. They are Novartis Drug Reps - A brilliant way to create more demand for your product...Ritalin
4. They Don't Like Kids - Like some sick person who gives a dog a hit of LSD to watch it chase its tail for 14 hours on end, these folks get their kicks giving kids a Red Bull and turning them loose in the mall.  A special place in hell indeed my friends.
3. They Don't Like Parents - This is probably the most plausible explanation and quite possibly one I will use in the future with a few students of mine.
2. They Work for Guinness World Records - They could be trying to break record for the longest scream by a 7 year-old, the most burps by a 12 year-old, or the most times a teenage girl can say "um", "like", or "you know" in a 5 hour stretch.
1. They Work for a Cell Phone Company - 88% of teen cell phone users are text messengers.  If you take that, mix in a can of Monster energy drink and that's um, like, a lot of texting, you know....

Comments