The Sheepfold and the Voice of the Shepherd

Stone sheepfold John 10:22-30 Recently my boys have been spending a great deal of time outside in the area that will soon be transformed into our garden. They spend endless hours digging in the dirt for worms. They then promptly take those worms and throw them to the chickens. It amazes me how even chickens can learn to recognize sounds or voices. My oldest makes this funny high-pitched sound when he comes out of the house and heads toward the coop. The chickens practically fall over themselves running toward the fence or out of the coop when they hear him making his sound. They know there is food to follow! In Sunday's Gospel Jesus tells us that, "My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me." and "I am the gate for the sheep." Today, again, Jesus mentions that His sheep know His voice and follow Him.  In these few verses we learn that Jesus is both gate and shepherd for the sheep. In those days and even today in some places, a sheepfold w

30 Day Prayer Challenge - Day 13

*The 30 Day Prayer Challenge is hosted by Real Life Rosary.  During these 30 days we are using the book 4 Simple Steps to Better Meditations to dive deeper into reading the daily scriptures.  Please click any of links for more information.  Join our Facebook Group to stay up to date.

Feast Day of St. Apollinaris

Happy Birthday to my dad!!!

Step #1 - Clear the Mind.

I was a bit distracted this morning by the upcoming visit of my brother-in-law and his family.  I wrote down the things that need to be done for their visit and got back to the readings.


Step #2 - Read the Scriptures

Today's readings can be found here.  The readings today are again very rich in both the 1st reading and the Gospel.  Initial thoughts were that God has a plan for each of us to be prophets in our own way in our own state in life.

Step #3 - Join the Story

Today it was very peacful to sit on the shore and listen to Jesus.  I could see him sitting in the boat with the gentle waves lapping the shore.  His voice carried across the water as he began talking about a sower and seed.

I though the sower was very foolish.  I'm sure seed is not cheap.  For the sower to be careless about where he places the seed seemed ridiculous.  Why would the sower "waste" so much seed when he knows it only grows in rich soil?  Then I realized that God is the sower and God is never stingy as I am.

God's name may be "mercy" but I believe it is also "abundance".  God doesn't hold back.  Look at the abundance of beauty in the world!  There are plants and animals of numerous kinds.  Desert, forest, ocean, ice, mountains, flat lands, and all of it beautiful.  The sower in the story is God pouring forth his word and grace upon the world.  He is not stingy, he is generous, and he is hopeful.  God wants all to be saved and so he is indiscriminate about the sowing of his graces, I'm the one who is blocking the seed and choosing where it is sown!

Step #4 - Talk/Listen to God


Dear God, help me to be as one of my young sons in your garden.  Help me to just want to plant your word and your grace and goodness anywhere and everywhere.  Give me the grace of abandonment of my ideas of good or bad soil, worthy or unworthy people.  Help me not to judge the soil in this world but only to sow the seed with wild, joyful abandon.

Step #5 - Bonus Step - Thanksgiving

Dear Lord, thank you for this time of prayer and meditation.  Thank you for another day to know you, to love you, and to serve you.  Thank you for all of the people joining us during these 30 days.  Help us all to grow in our love for you and one another!  Give us the courage to continue on this challenge that your word may take root in our lives and produce an abundant harvest.

Today is Wednesday, I would encourage you to pray the Glorious Mysteries of the Rosary.  Here are the Glorious Mysteries of Children.

Comments