What sign can you do?

John 6:30-35 If I wasn't in the same boat as these sinners following Jesus I would probably be laughing right in their face. I often wonder how Jesus kept from rolling on the grass laughing at what some people do. Today we hear the crowd ask Him, "What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you? What can you do?..." Is this not the same crowd who in verse 2 we are told - "followed him, because they saw the signs he was performing on the sick ."? Are these not the same people who in verse 14 " when they saw the sign he had done, they said, "This is truly the Prophet, the one who is to come into the world."? Yet still they seek a sign. However, they are not seeking a sign so that they might believe, they are wanting to be fed. Jesus worked a "sign" with the loaves and the fishes and now they want Him to do it again. Wisely, Jesus is using their bellies to get to their hearts; He is using earthly things to move them,

Casting into the deep.


I believe there's more to this story than what is being reported.  Something doesn't add up.  Jesus uses Peter's boat to preach from, He tells Peter to cast out his nets into the deep.  Peter hesitates but then does so at Jesus' commanded.  Peter then catches a boat load of fish.  Peter's reaction? - "Depart from me Lord, for I am a sinful man."  No "thank you!", "wow", or "how in the world."  Something doesn't seem right.

I'd guess that Peter, being sinfully human like the rest of us, said more than, "we've been out all night but okay."  I know I would have said more, at least under my breath.  I know I have said more!  Knowing Peter's tendencies to blurt out just about anything I'm guessing Luke charitably left out the other parts of the story, maybe at Peter's request.

I can imagine Peter saying or at least mumbling something like this: "Look, carpenter, you are a carpenter right?  Leave the fishing to us.  Can't you see we're done for the night.  We've just about got all these nets washed and repaired and there's no way we're throwing them back in.  I let you use my boat to do your teaching thing but this is a bit much."  I can easily hear this rough and tough fisherman taking Jesus to task out in the boat away from the crowds.

For me, this would explain why Peter would ask Jesus to, "depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man."  Peter realizes how sinful he is after all that he said to this man who just performed such a miracle.  This would also explain why Jesus would say, "Do not be afraid."  Peter was fearful of being in the presence of such a man.

What sort of effect did all of this have on Peter and his partners?  "They left everything and followed him."  They left everything: boats, nets, and even that huge fresh catch, everything.

Lord, help me to try one more time today.  I am tired.  I feel like I've tried everything.  Ashamedly, I sometimes feel like I know more than you about life.  But, at your command, I'll do it again because I know you want what is best for me.  I trust you, help me try one more time.

 Join us for the 90 Day Rosary of Reparation beginning September 9th, 2018.

Comments