The Sheepfold and the Voice of the Shepherd

Stone sheepfold John 10:22-30 Recently my boys have been spending a great deal of time outside in the area that will soon be transformed into our garden. They spend endless hours digging in the dirt for worms. They then promptly take those worms and throw them to the chickens. It amazes me how even chickens can learn to recognize sounds or voices. My oldest makes this funny high-pitched sound when he comes out of the house and heads toward the coop. The chickens practically fall over themselves running toward the fence or out of the coop when they hear him making his sound. They know there is food to follow! In Sunday's Gospel Jesus tells us that, "My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me." and "I am the gate for the sheep." Today, again, Jesus mentions that His sheep know His voice and follow Him.  In these few verses we learn that Jesus is both gate and shepherd for the sheep. In those days and even today in some places, a sheepfold w

Ask the DRE

I write a little blurb in the parish bulletin entitled "Ask the DRE" where people can send me emails asking questions about the faith etc. Here is a question from a few months ago that I thought I share.

ASK THE DRE – If I live a great life, love God, and all the rest, how can choosing to miss Mass once be a mortal sin that could put me into Hell?

If I eat well, exercise, and take good care of myself, how can choosing to jump off a cliff one time be enough to end my life? Now, the difference with this analogy and missing Mass is of course whether one misses Mass deliberately or because of difficult circumstances. In the analogy of the cliff, it doesn’t matter whether it was an accident or on purpose, you’re still dead. God is much more patient and forgiving than nature.

Missing Mass deliberately is a grave sin against God, Whom we should love above all else – even the thing we are missing Mass for. It is also breaking the Third Commandment. Actually, if you really take time to think about it, it is breaking at least 8 out of the 10 Commandments.

Look at the question in another light, in the light of what Faith is all about: Relationship. For instance: If I take care of my wife, remember all of those special days with chocolate and flowers, and I am faithful to her for 25 years, how can choosing adultery once destroy our relationship? Or if I am a great father, spend time with my kids, and do everything an ideal dad could do, how could one instance of abuse destroy our relationship? Missing mass deliberately is not about breaking a rule, it’s about breaking a relationship and not having a relationship with God, is Hell.

Comments

Barbara said…
Just had this debate with my brother over Christmas. He's a cradle Catholic (not that that means a darn thing) and just could not understand how missing Mass is a mortal sin (ie death to the soul, ie if you die without confessing, hell). What part of keep holy the Sabbath don't you understand? I said. That means Mass is more important than thyself.