The Sheepfold and the Voice of the Shepherd

Stone sheepfold John 10:22-30 Recently my boys have been spending a great deal of time outside in the area that will soon be transformed into our garden. They spend endless hours digging in the dirt for worms. They then promptly take those worms and throw them to the chickens. It amazes me how even chickens can learn to recognize sounds or voices. My oldest makes this funny high-pitched sound when he comes out of the house and heads toward the coop. The chickens practically fall over themselves running toward the fence or out of the coop when they hear him making his sound. They know there is food to follow! In Sunday's Gospel Jesus tells us that, "My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me." and "I am the gate for the sheep." Today, again, Jesus mentions that His sheep know His voice and follow Him.  In these few verses we learn that Jesus is both gate and shepherd for the sheep. In those days and even today in some places, a sheepfold w

Jesus' House of Healing

*The Advent Scripture Challenge is hosted by Real Life Rosary.  During this season of Advent we are using the book 4 Simple Steps to Better Meditations (FREE PDF DOWNLOAD) to dive deeper into reading the daily scriptures.  Please click any of links for more information.  Join our Facebook Group to stay up to date.  What follows are my thoughts and prayers from today's readings using the 4 Simple Steps Method and Worksheet.


Step #1 - Clear the Mind.

Today I am distracted by the things I need to get done around the house but don't have the time due to my current job situation.  A hoop house needs to be built.  My second job needs more attention.  Rosaries need to be made and sent out before Christmas.


Step #2 - Read the Scriptures

Today's readings can be found here.  While reading the readings this morning particular words seemed to permeate all of the readings and caught my attention - eyes, blind, healing, faith, light, and house.

Step #3 - Join the Story

As I watched the events of the Gospel unfold I was struck by something I'd not seen Jesus do before.  Many folks had approached Him before asking for healing.  They too approached Him boldly, in the open, though some had "stolen" a touch or sought Him under cover of darkness.  When they asked for healing for themselves or others, He had given it almost instantly.

However, today, He did something different.  These blind men cried out to Him and He continued on as though He didn't hear them until He entered the house.  Only then did He address them.  Why did He not turn to them while they were still out in the open?  Why did He not ask them His questions while they were still out in the sun and air?

Then I thought, how painful it is when I awake and the morning sun is streaming directly into my window.  Or, how long does it take my eyes to adjust to the full summer light when I emerge from my dark basement.

Was Jesus concerned about how their eyes would adjust to the "new" light they were about to receive?  Did He want to give them some sort of shelter that would allow their eyes time to learn to see again and not be instantly "blinded" by the intense rays of the sun (Son)?

Step #4 - Talk/Listen to God


Dear Lord, during this time of Advent, please reveal to me the areas of my life where I am blind.  Lead me to the house (real or spiritual) that I need to be in so that you may heal me.  Help me to overcome my fear of following you into that home and simply trust that you want to heal me.

Lord, you know that my ears need healing, that I have struggled with this for years.  I feel that you are leading me to a house of cleaner living (physical and spiritual).  Give me the
grace I need to follow you and please don't ask me to keep my healing quite.  I'm not sure I could manage that either ;-)

Step #5 - Bonus Step - Thanksgiving


Dear Lord, thank you for this time of prayer and meditation.  Thank you for another day to know you, to love you, and to serve you.  Thank you for all of the people joining us during this Advent season.  Help us all to grow in our love for you and one another!  Open our eyes and our ears!

Today is Friday, I would encourage you to pray the Sorrowful  Mysteries of the Rosary.  Here are the Sorrowful Mysteries of Advent & Christmas.

Comments