Happy 16th Birthday Catherine Therese!!

Although you'll never read this my sweet Catherine, I love you. 16 years ago you changed our life forever. All of your siblings have done this in their own way but you have done so in a very special way. You have made me more empathetic, compassionate, and much more prayerful. Your smile lights up the world around you and we are all blessed by it.  It's not easy living with a saint. You remind me of my weakness and limited time on this earth. You challenge me to go deeper within myself and find what the Lord is trying to teach me...usually patience. You are made in His image and likeness but He uses you so that I can see my own beauty, goodness, and shortcomings.  You struggle mightily against me with every bath, diaper change, and wardrobe change. I struggle mightily with Him against all the changes He wills in my life. You depend on me and your mom for even the simplest of things. You teach me to depend on Him for everything and not rely on my on strength. You teach me that I

Christians outraged by Pope's comments

Muslims are not the only people who were outraged by the comments of Pope Benedict XVI at the University of Regensburg. Following the Pope's address many Muslims took to the streets in protest. Churches were burned, nuns killed, and images of the Pope destroyed. The fires continue to smolder in the Islamic world.

However, many Christians were also outraged when they heard of another part of the Pope's address. The Pope is quoted as saying, "God is not bound even by his own word, and that nothing would oblige him to reveal the truth to us. Were it God's will, we would even have to practice idolatry."

The reaction to his statement from Christians has been mixed. Professor Henry Smith stated that he thought the Pope's statement was contrary to the Christian understanding of God. Brother Steven Jenkins said that this is merely a comfirmation of what he has believed all his life, that Catholics are idolaters. Others expressed outrage and confusion until the statement was read in the context of the entire address. Only then did the Christian community realize that the quote was actually from Islamic philosopher Ibn Hazn. They further realized that the address was a call to dialogue and actually a critique of modern reason. No mosques or Churches were burned.

Read the entire papal address here.

Mary Queen of Peace, pray for us!

Comments

James M. Hahn said…
Yes, this is my own made-up news report...