Happy 16th Birthday Catherine Therese!!

Although you'll never read this my sweet Catherine, I love you. 16 years ago you changed our life forever. All of your siblings have done this in their own way but you have done so in a very special way. You have made me more empathetic, compassionate, and much more prayerful. Your smile lights up the world around you and we are all blessed by it.  It's not easy living with a saint. You remind me of my weakness and limited time on this earth. You challenge me to go deeper within myself and find what the Lord is trying to teach me...usually patience. You are made in His image and likeness but He uses you so that I can see my own beauty, goodness, and shortcomings.  You struggle mightily against me with every bath, diaper change, and wardrobe change. I struggle mightily with Him against all the changes He wills in my life. You depend on me and your mom for even the simplest of things. You teach me to depend on Him for everything and not rely on my on strength. You teach me that I

Duc in altum!

Thursday September 7th

Luke 5:1-11

My personality is one that doesn't take correction or instruction well when it comes to what I consider to be my business. When writing my book on the rosary I gave a copy of the manuscript to my father-in-law for proof-reading. He did what I asked him to do but at first I was furious. For some reason I expected him to give it back with a comma added here or a misspelling marked there. However, nearly every page was bleeding with red ink (some of it was simply commenting). After much prayer and talking with my wife I repented of my selfish pride and willingly looked to his comments and suggestions to make my work better. I continue to send him pieces to this day.

Peter was a fisherman by trade. He knew his work and he knew it well. They had been fishing all night and were washing and probably mending their nets in preparation for the next night of work when Jesus arrived. Since they weren't too busy, Peter agreed to take Jesus out a little from the shore so that He might address the crowd. After listening to Jesus preach Peter probably began to prepare to row back to shore but Jesus stopped him and commanded him to throw out his nets once more. Here Peter would have every right to scoff and Jesus' "request". After all Peter knew his work far better than this "carpenter." But something in Jesus' preaching changed Peter or perhaps because of Jesus curing his mother-in-law, Peter does as he is told. The catch is far more than expected especially at that time of day.

When I place yesterday's and today's reading beside one another I find something interesting to contemplate. Both men, Jesus and Peter, were up all night. Peter caught nothing while Jesus "caught" many. Jesus' catch was so great that He had to flee to the boat. Peter's catch, after accepting Christ into his boat, was so great that it nearly sank the boat. Jesus' catch wanted to keep him from going away while Peter's catch causes him to go away and follow Jesus. And it is here that the two "fisherman" connect never to be separated.

Lord Jesus, help me to heed Your command "Duc in altum - put out into deep water." When I am exhausted and have tried with all my strength to accomplish something give me the grace to "cast my net" one more time. Help me to rid myself of all that would keep me from You. Like Peter, I cry out "depart from me, for I am a sinful man." Let me hear You say to me, "Do not be afraid." Lord Jesus, help me to open my heart as Peter opened His boat so that others may see and hear You in all that I do.

FROM THE SAINTS
- "Detach yourself from people and things until you are stripped of them. For, says Pope Saint Gregory, the devil has nothing of this own in this world, and he goes into battle naked. If you are clothed when you fight him, you will soon be pulled to the ground, because he will have something to grab on to." - Saint Josemaria Escriva

Comments