Happy 16th Birthday Catherine Therese!!

Although you'll never read this my sweet Catherine, I love you. 16 years ago you changed our life forever. All of your siblings have done this in their own way but you have done so in a very special way. You have made me more empathetic, compassionate, and much more prayerful. Your smile lights up the world around you and we are all blessed by it.  It's not easy living with a saint. You remind me of my weakness and limited time on this earth. You challenge me to go deeper within myself and find what the Lord is trying to teach me...usually patience. You are made in His image and likeness but He uses you so that I can see my own beauty, goodness, and shortcomings.  You struggle mightily against me with every bath, diaper change, and wardrobe change. I struggle mightily with Him against all the changes He wills in my life. You depend on me and your mom for even the simplest of things. You teach me to depend on Him for everything and not rely on my on strength. You teach me that I

Fever

Wednesday September 6th

Luke 4:38-44

Every parent knows the fear that is associated with the word "fever." I have spent plenty of dark hours watching my children grimace and sweat under the weight of a fever. I have prayed and pleaded. I have sat in emergency rooms where it felt like no one really cared about my child.

Too often I take my health and the health of my family for granted. Only when one of us falls into ill health do I remember how valuable health is. I often think of Jesus giving sight to the blind, making the lame walk, the deaf hear, and the mute speak. However, I must remember that He cares for us not only in the "big" illnesses but also the little things like a fever or a cold.

In the Gospel today Jesus is sought out so that He might heal Peter's mother-in-law of her fever. What is amazing is that not only does the fever leave her but she is able to jump up and begin waiting on Jesus and His disciples. Word got around fast because before evening the place was surrounded by people bringing their sick friends for Jesus to heal. Through the night Jesus placed His hands upon them and healed them. Only with the morning does Jesus find a moments rest and even then it is not for long.

This passage gives me comfort for many reasons. I find comfort in associating myself with the many who waited long hours into the night with their loved ones waiting patiently yet anxiously for healing. I also find comfort in knowing that the Divine Physician continued to "make His rounds" in even during the darkest hours. This gives me hope that He is always there beside those I love for He loves them far more.

Jesus, heal this broken world. Rebuke the fever of sin in all of us so that we may return to serving You and others.

FROM THE SAINTS
- "Peter's mother-in-law's fever represents our flesh affected b various illnesses and concupiscences; our fever is passion, our fever is lust, our fever is anger - vices which, although they affect the body, perturb the soul, the mind and the feelings." Saint Ambrose

Comments

Sarah Reinhard said…
Father noted at Bible study on Friday morning that Jesus often did healings at night. I can't remember the rest of what he said about that, but that struck me when I read this passage. Peter's mother was healed, and then at night all the sick friends came around, and Jesus healed them.

May Jesus hold our families close to him!
James M. Hahn said…
Maybe it is symbolic of us wandering in the dark, sick with sin. Fevers and sickness always seem worse at night too I think.