Happy 16th Birthday Catherine Therese!!

Although you'll never read this my sweet Catherine, I love you. 16 years ago you changed our life forever. All of your siblings have done this in their own way but you have done so in a very special way. You have made me more empathetic, compassionate, and much more prayerful. Your smile lights up the world around you and we are all blessed by it.  It's not easy living with a saint. You remind me of my weakness and limited time on this earth. You challenge me to go deeper within myself and find what the Lord is trying to teach me...usually patience. You are made in His image and likeness but He uses you so that I can see my own beauty, goodness, and shortcomings.  You struggle mightily against me with every bath, diaper change, and wardrobe change. I struggle mightily with Him against all the changes He wills in my life. You depend on me and your mom for even the simplest of things. You teach me to depend on Him for everything and not rely on my on strength. You teach me that I

Labels

Wednesday September 20th – Saint Andrew Kim Taegon, Paul chong Hasang, and companions, martyrs

Luke 7:31-35

Too often when I read this passage I automatically write it off as dealing only with those of that time period. When Jesus says “men of this generation” I unconsciously think, “yeah, let them have it Lord.” Yet I realize that He is speaking to me as well.

Today He would probably say, “I can’t win with you guys or damned if I do and damned if I don’t.” However, Jesus refuses to be boxed in, categorized and labeled. Basically, the liberals of that day were labeling John as “ultra-conservative” and the conservatives were labeling Jesus as a “flaming liberal.” John was too strict for those who wanted to have more license in their way of life. Jesus was too loose in His behavior for those who were teetotalers.

Yet, as Jesus states, the wisdom of both styles of behavior is acceptable and necessary. It is necessary not only for groups of people but individuals as well. There is a time when one should fast and a time when one should feast. Partaking in either to the exclusion of the other is dangerous while clinging to only one set of ideas can blind a person.

This is a perfect example of how I know that the Church is the one true Church founded by Jesus Christ. I can see this because generation after generation has treated the Church in much the same way. One side says the Church is too puritanical in the area of sexual relations while the other states that the Church has sexualized theology. One group shouts at the Church in anger because it will not “allow” women’s ordination while another group claims that none of the men currently ordained as priests are validly ordained. Yet the Church never wavers and never falters. It stands firm on the foundation of Jesus Christ. All the while, she continues to call all, liberal and conservative, moral and immoral, pagan and traditionalist, back to Her bosom. Wisdom is vindicated by her children and the Church hers', the saints!

FROM THE SAINTS
- “One great piece of mischief has been done by the modern restriction of the word Temperance to the question of drink. It helps people to forget that you can be just as intemperate about lots of other things…Of course, it does not show on the outside so easily: bridge-mania or golf-mania do not make you fall down in the middle of the road. But God is not deceived by externals.”C. S. Lewis in Mere Christianity

Comments