The Seasons: A Poem

Sunrise over Amazing Grasses Family Farm The mad Artist wields His brush, Painted colors rush, To life and give flush, Before the quiet autumn hush. The life seems to pour, As colors fall to the floor, To be seen no more, Outside the dark, grey door. Brightness from below, Sun upon the snow, High, cold clouds blow, Flakes and ice appear to grow. The man melts with little seen, Underneath, pale, grey green, Hides life in dark unseen, Waits for warmth and to careen. Buds on branches show, Patience starts to grow, Trickles, streams and veins flow, Bringing fruits of melted snow. Sprung to life it springs, Bees, birds, sound rings, Lush green flings, Its gift bounty brings. Green growth gives one last rush, Underneath the Painter's brush. The mad Artist wields His brush, before the quiet autumn hush. More poetry is available from James M. Hahn in  The Last Dragon and Other Poems  available now. My new book of cryptogram puzzles " Secret Messages from the Saints " is avai

Peace and Division

Thursday October 26th

Luke 12:49-53

THE CONVERSATION

Me: Jesus, can we talk?

Jesus: Sure, we can talk anytime. What's up?

Me: What's up? What's up? Today's Gospel is "what's up." I can't make heads or tails of the whole thing. Just when I think I know You, everything changes!

Jesus: What? What did I say?

Me: Okay look, over and over I have been told things like Jesus is the Prince of Peace and the Devil is the author of division. Every You lover shouts "peace!" Heck, sorry, I've even heard You say things like, "blessed are the peace makers." Then there are the songs, "Peace is flowing like a river", "Make me a channel of your peace", and on and on.

Jesus: So what was your question?

Me: Are you the Prince of Peace or a divider?

Jesus: Yes!

Me: I thought you might say that. What does it mean? This whole passage today is filled with contradictions - fire/baptism, peace/division, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law/mother-in-law getting along with daughter-in-law!?

Jesus: Does fire consume what it burns?

Me: Yeah.

Jesus: And as it consumes it, does it not provide fuel for the fire which in turn gives light and heat? And would you rather have the My fire cast upon the earth or the devil's fire? Where my fire burns and purifies giving light and heat, his destroys.

Me: Okay, I get the point. But what about Baptism?

Jesus: I desired that baptism in order that the spark of faith might strike the world and the wind of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost might fan it into flame.

Me: Cool, I never thought of it that way. But what about the peace and division thing?

Jesus: Can division often bring peace? And can peace often bring division? When one is divided or separated from sin do they not find peace? And when one finds peace can those who do not yet understand this peace often divide or separate from the one who is at peace? I did not come to bring peace to the world but peace to the soul. I did not come to divide the soul but to divide the soul from the world.

Me: Do you always answer questions with questions?

Jesus: In your mind I do.

Me: Why do you always have my voice when we talk?

Jesus: If I didn't, what do think would happen? Really?

Me: Yeah, your right. Hey, what about the mother-in-law and daughter-in-law thing? I mean really, You sure called that one right even if the division isn't because of You.

Jesus: Let's not go there...who knows who might be reading this....

FROM THE SAINTS - "Men are forever "making peace" and forever getting entangled in wars. This is because they have forgotten the advice to struggle inside themselves and to go to God for help. Then he will conquer, and we will obtain peace for ourselves and for our hoes, for society, and for the world." - Saint Josemaria Escriva The Forge #102

Comments

Sarah Reinhard said…
Jim, this is great! LOVE IT! Jesus always answers me in my head with questions too...what's UP with that?!? :)