The Seasons: A Poem

Sunrise over Amazing Grasses Family Farm The mad Artist wields His brush, Painted colors rush, To life and give flush, Before the quiet autumn hush. The life seems to pour, As colors fall to the floor, To be seen no more, Outside the dark, grey door. Brightness from below, Sun upon the snow, High, cold clouds blow, Flakes and ice appear to grow. The man melts with little seen, Underneath, pale, grey green, Hides life in dark unseen, Waits for warmth and to careen. Buds on branches show, Patience starts to grow, Trickles, streams and veins flow, Bringing fruits of melted snow. Sprung to life it springs, Bees, birds, sound rings, Lush green flings, Its gift bounty brings. Green growth gives one last rush, Underneath the Painter's brush. The mad Artist wields His brush, before the quiet autumn hush. More poetry is available from James M. Hahn in  The Last Dragon and Other Poems  available now. My new book of cryptogram puzzles " Secret Messages from the Saints " is avai

Self-storage

Monday October 23rd - Saint John of Capistrano

Luke 12:13-21

I can't help but think of this passage everytime I pass a self-storage business. Yes, that means I think of this passage a lot. Like weeds of greed along the highways and byways they dot the landscape in every city. For folks on a pilgrimage, we sure gather a lot of junk. Yet, hardly ever do we consider parting with our junk.

Take my dad for instance. He has a hereditary disease that keeps him from parting with anything. He has magazines, newspapers, and tools all in various stages of disentigration stored in barns and out buildings "just in case". I finally convinced him to try and sell some old cameras on Ebay so he could start saving for the tractor he wants. I told him and mom that they should sell all of the "junk" and enjoy the proceeds or use them for some good because that's what I'm going to do with it. That is, as long as my brothers share the inheritance.

After reading today's Gospel I couldn't help but think of the many families that have been torn apart because of fighting over inheritance. I have read stories of brothers and sisters in vicious law suits attacking and counter attacking each other over land, furniture, and jewelry. This is probably what was happening with the person who approached Jesus.

It is interesting that Jesus never says that one cannot be rich. He never says, that by default, being rich automatically condemns one to perdition. However, His warnings are always against the love of money or love of things. I can't take any of it with me. How I live here so it goes in eternity. How I live here is what I leave behind. I want to leave behind a family that loves me because of my love for Christ. I want to leave behind holy men and women (children) destined to become saints because I was obedient to God in much. I don't want to leave behind barns filled with junk that no matter who recieves them will ultimately end in rust, dust, and ashes. I want to be rich in what matters to God.

FROM THE SAINTS - "Detach yourself from the goods of this world. Love and practice poverty of spirit: be content with what is sufficient for leading a simple and temperate life. Otherwise, you'll never be an apostle." "True poverty is not to lack things but to be detached, to give up voluntarily one's dominion over them. That's why some poor people are really rich...and vice versa." - Saint Josemaria Escriva The Way #'s 631-2

Comments