The Seasons: A Poem

Sunrise over Amazing Grasses Family Farm The mad Artist wields His brush, Painted colors rush, To life and give flush, Before the quiet autumn hush. The life seems to pour, As colors fall to the floor, To be seen no more, Outside the dark, grey door. Brightness from below, Sun upon the snow, High, cold clouds blow, Flakes and ice appear to grow. The man melts with little seen, Underneath, pale, grey green, Hides life in dark unseen, Waits for warmth and to careen. Buds on branches show, Patience starts to grow, Trickles, streams and veins flow, Bringing fruits of melted snow. Sprung to life it springs, Bees, birds, sound rings, Lush green flings, Its gift bounty brings. Green growth gives one last rush, Underneath the Painter's brush. The mad Artist wields His brush, before the quiet autumn hush. More poetry is available from James M. Hahn in  The Last Dragon and Other Poems  available now. My new book of cryptogram puzzles " Secret Messages from the Saints " is avai

Teach Me

Wednesday October 11th
Luke 11:1-4

I pride myself on being a self-made man. I have taught myself many things. When I was about 12 years-old I taught myself how to ride a unicycle. After a lot of practice and a lot of failures I was able to leave the balancing poles behind and set out to ride all over the neighborhood.

I received a great foundation in the Catholic faith under the careful eyes of Sister Dorothy and Sister Bernadette. Yet, when I came back to the faith after an extended leave of 10 years I taught myself by using the Catechism and the Bible and by studying various books etc.

I don't care much for formal classes unless it is something that I am really interested in. I like to do things myself and teach myself. I call it independence but it is really a thinly veiled pride. Many would say that it is a great ability and gift to be able to teach oneself but I see it as my greatest fault. I am too proud to say, "teach me." To say those words in my mind is the same as saying, "I don't know something, I am weak, I need help." Pride, pride, pride.

In today's Gospel I am encouraged to put aside my pride. The apostles give me the courage to say, "teach me." Here are men who have been following Jesus for a while. They have witnessed His miracles, heard His teachings, and watched Him pray. A pride filled person would assume to know and be able to imitate all that the master has done by now. In fact, we just read that apostles healed and cast out demons. Yet, now they are asking simply to know how to pray.For me, this is humility and I hope to imitate it by asking the Master to teach me everything.
TAKE TWO
I often like to see Jesus as a fun witty guy even though we don't read this in the Bible I believe it is between many of those red letter lines. In this passage I like to imagine Jesus replying to the request, "teach us how to pray" by simply saying, "you just did."
Lord Jesus, teach me how to pray.

Comments

Sarah Reinhard said…
Me too, Jim, me too. Thanks for the reminder that "do-it-myself-ness" is really pride. And thanks for the reminder of where to find the solution...