Happy 16th Birthday Catherine Therese!!

Although you'll never read this my sweet Catherine, I love you. 16 years ago you changed our life forever. All of your siblings have done this in their own way but you have done so in a very special way. You have made me more empathetic, compassionate, and much more prayerful. Your smile lights up the world around you and we are all blessed by it.  It's not easy living with a saint. You remind me of my weakness and limited time on this earth. You challenge me to go deeper within myself and find what the Lord is trying to teach me...usually patience. You are made in His image and likeness but He uses you so that I can see my own beauty, goodness, and shortcomings.  You struggle mightily against me with every bath, diaper change, and wardrobe change. I struggle mightily with Him against all the changes He wills in my life. You depend on me and your mom for even the simplest of things. You teach me to depend on Him for everything and not rely on my on strength. You teach me that I

Sex and Sin


After reading an article on Yahoo about The United Church of Canada's new "Christmas" campaign I have finally found the courage to ask a question that I have been pondering for some time now. Perhaps you all can help me...

If a spouse in is the "state of mortal sin" and they have relations (conjugal) with their spouse are they sinning mortally? Is this along the same lines as receiving communion in the state of mortal sin?

Comments

Warren said…
How can it be a sin to have sex with your spouse?

The state of your spouse's soul is not something you are privy to the knowledge of.

So your question is and always remains purely hypothetical since you don't know if your spouse is in such a state, nor actually, does your spouse, in fact.

Even if it was so, you are still married to that person. That person has a mortal soul. They are also a soul. Because they are alive, they have not died in a state of mortal sin, and are thus not beyond Grace, grace from You, or from God. In fact, relationship with a devout spouse, a loving caring one, is probably a means God will use, to restore the other spouse.

UltraWarren
James M. Hahn said…
It can be a sin to have sex with your spouse if you are not open to the possibility of conception - using the pill, condom, etc. That would be sinning by having sex with your spouse.

Maybe I should have been more clear. Of course you do not know the state of your spouse's soul but you do know yours. And, if you know yours to be in the state of mortal sin is it a grave offense to God to have relations while in that state?

Totally agree with what you're saying about a holy spouse!
James M. Hahn said…
Rape also comes to mind. That would be sinning by having sex with your spouse.