Happy 16th Birthday Catherine Therese!!

Although you'll never read this my sweet Catherine, I love you. 16 years ago you changed our life forever. All of your siblings have done this in their own way but you have done so in a very special way. You have made me more empathetic, compassionate, and much more prayerful. Your smile lights up the world around you and we are all blessed by it.  It's not easy living with a saint. You remind me of my weakness and limited time on this earth. You challenge me to go deeper within myself and find what the Lord is trying to teach me...usually patience. You are made in His image and likeness but He uses you so that I can see my own beauty, goodness, and shortcomings.  You struggle mightily against me with every bath, diaper change, and wardrobe change. I struggle mightily with Him against all the changes He wills in my life. You depend on me and your mom for even the simplest of things. You teach me to depend on Him for everything and not rely on my on strength. You teach me that I

Do as they say, not as they do.


Matthew 23:1-12

About four years ago, when I was thinking of taking my current job as a DRE, a friend told me that being a director of religious education is a "thank-less" job. I have found this to be a truth and a prophecy. Yet, this post is not to complain but rather to confess.

I know that I am very idealistic. I know how things should be and often cannot understand why reality doesn't match and mesh with my mind's image. I struggle and accuse. I begin to lay blame on others. For instance, I see that one of the biggest problems in the Catholic Church in America is that it is run like a business. I realize that is a broad brush stroke but I have found it to be very true in many cases. This sort of structure focuses on keeping the "machine" running smoothly. When this happens, often RCIA, PSR or CCD, RCIC etc., become so mechanical that they lose sight of the goal of saving souls. The machine continues to run but produces nothing. Personal touch is replaced by policy, formation is replaced by formulas, and the sacraments become carrots at the end of a stick.

I see all of this in many parishes and in the one where I am a DRE. I lay blame easily and quickly but recently I was made to see that I too am mechanizing my program. It was brought to my attention that I was focusing on policy and losing people. For this I am sorry. I want to step down from my ivory tower and be with the folks I am supposed to be serving. I want to share in their joys, struggles, pains, and happiness. I want phone calls to replace emails and home visits to replace policy letters.

In today's Gospel I feel as though Jesus is speaking to the crowd about me when He says, "Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example."

It's about souls. It's about personal relationships with Jesus and with each other. I repent.

Lord Jesus, help me to take the time to reach out to those you have put in my care. Help me to make things personal and intimate. You are my example, not those I work for. You took time to help, heal, listen, pray, and teach. Give me the strength to do the same, in Your name.

Comments