Happy 16th Birthday Catherine Therese!!

Although you'll never read this my sweet Catherine, I love you. 16 years ago you changed our life forever. All of your siblings have done this in their own way but you have done so in a very special way. You have made me more empathetic, compassionate, and much more prayerful. Your smile lights up the world around you and we are all blessed by it.  It's not easy living with a saint. You remind me of my weakness and limited time on this earth. You challenge me to go deeper within myself and find what the Lord is trying to teach me...usually patience. You are made in His image and likeness but He uses you so that I can see my own beauty, goodness, and shortcomings.  You struggle mightily against me with every bath, diaper change, and wardrobe change. I struggle mightily with Him against all the changes He wills in my life. You depend on me and your mom for even the simplest of things. You teach me to depend on Him for everything and not rely on my on strength. You teach me that I

Like the wind

John 3:1-8

I took my three oldest boys up on the hill behind our house last week to fly a kite. It was a very windy day so we had no problem in getting the kite up in the air. After letting out all of our string I handed the spool to my youngest to hold. The force of the wind tugged and pulled the kite. This force made it difficult for the youngest to hold but he held on tight. The kite pulled him forward and then he would step back. It lifted his arms and then he would pull them back down. This went on for a few minutes and I could see he was getting tired. My oldest son then asked if he could have a turn "flying" the kite. The youngest was more than happy to pass the controls on to someone else. He excitedly said "yes" to the request and promptly let go of the string. Dad had a difficult time running through the field and brier bushes trying to catch the string and the kite again.

After a daring, leaping recovery, we stood and watched the kite flip all over the sky far above our heads. We couldn't see the wind but we knew it was there. We saw the effects that it had upon the kite and its tail. We felt the effects as it pulled and tugged violently at our string. Even though it was invisible we were in awe of its awesome power. Perhaps we were even more in awe because we couldn't see it.

In today's Gospel, Jesus tells Nicodemus that the Holy Spirit is like the wind. We may not know when He is coming nor what purpose or direction He has in mind. Surely, however, we can recognize the effects of the Holy Spirit in our life and in the lives of those around us.

I didn't feel any different after receiving the sacrament of Confirmation. I didn't feel a burning desire to spread the Gospel. I didn't speak in tongues. I could see no visible change. Yet over the years I have learned to notice the effects of this Holy Wind in my life. I recognize that it is the Holy Spirit that "lifts me up" in prayer and pulls and tugs at my heart. This Wind of God is constantly blowing. From where I do not know nor to where. However, I do know that if I trust in God and in the words of Christ, and I let out some string - let go and let God, God will take me to heights I never before imagined.

In the first reading today, taken from The Acts of the Apostles, we can see this Holy Wind blowing where and when it will. When Peter and John rejoin the other followers of Jesus, after being detained by the priests of the temple, they pray in thanksgiving to God for His goodness. Shortly after their prayer is ended they experience the mighty Wind of God for scripture says, "...the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and the were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God with boldness."

Lord Jesus, send forth Your Holy Spirit upon us all. Help us to see and feel His effects in our life!

FROM THE SAINTS - "You are dust, fallen and dirty. Even though the breath of the Holy Spirit should lift you above all earthly things and make you shine like gold - your misery reflecting in those heights the sovereign rays of the Sun of Justice - don't forget the lowliness of your state. An instant of pride would cast you back to the ground: and having been light, you would again become dirt." - St. Josemaria Escriva The Way # 599

Comments

Anonymous said…
Don't ya just love Josemaria Escriva! I know I do! Wonderful post. Thank you!