Happy 16th Birthday Catherine Therese!!

Although you'll never read this my sweet Catherine, I love you. 16 years ago you changed our life forever. All of your siblings have done this in their own way but you have done so in a very special way. You have made me more empathetic, compassionate, and much more prayerful. Your smile lights up the world around you and we are all blessed by it.  It's not easy living with a saint. You remind me of my weakness and limited time on this earth. You challenge me to go deeper within myself and find what the Lord is trying to teach me...usually patience. You are made in His image and likeness but He uses you so that I can see my own beauty, goodness, and shortcomings.  You struggle mightily against me with every bath, diaper change, and wardrobe change. I struggle mightily with Him against all the changes He wills in my life. You depend on me and your mom for even the simplest of things. You teach me to depend on Him for everything and not rely on my on strength. You teach me that I

Why are you following Jesus?

If I were in the crowd and someone from the Tiberias Times asked me why I was following this man and His disciples, I wonder what my answer would be. Would it be because He filled my belly? Because everyone else is following Him? Because I want to be with the "in" crowd or it helps my business prospects? Because I am curious and want to see what other things He might do? Because I think He may have worked a miracle? Because He may be a prophet? Because I believe that He has the words of eternal life? Because He is the Christ, the Son of the Living God?

If someone from the USA Today were to ask me why I am following this Jesus and the successors of His apostles, what would my answer be? What would your answer be?

Let us pray that more often we imitate Peter who, although He didn't understand all that Jesus was teaching, had enough sense to say, "To whom shall we go? Only you have the words of eternal life."(v.68) Let us also pray for the grace to not be like those who "returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him." (v.66)

FROM THE SAINTS - "The prayer of the Christian is never a monologue." - Saint Josemaria Escriva - The Way #114

Comments