Happy 16th Birthday Catherine Therese!!

Although you'll never read this my sweet Catherine, I love you. 16 years ago you changed our life forever. All of your siblings have done this in their own way but you have done so in a very special way. You have made me more empathetic, compassionate, and much more prayerful. Your smile lights up the world around you and we are all blessed by it.  It's not easy living with a saint. You remind me of my weakness and limited time on this earth. You challenge me to go deeper within myself and find what the Lord is trying to teach me...usually patience. You are made in His image and likeness but He uses you so that I can see my own beauty, goodness, and shortcomings.  You struggle mightily against me with every bath, diaper change, and wardrobe change. I struggle mightily with Him against all the changes He wills in my life. You depend on me and your mom for even the simplest of things. You teach me to depend on Him for everything and not rely on my on strength. You teach me that I

A Movie as if People Mattered

Last night I had the awesome privilege and blessing to attend a private screening of the movie Bella. Today I am still reeling. This is by far the most powerful movie I have ever seen. I believe this is because it shows humanity in all of its darkness and beauty.

The basic premise is that through the movie we follow one day in the life of Jose and Nina. Jose is man with a great heart and painful past while Nina is facing an unplanned pregnancy by a man she doesn't love. The two work together in Jose's brother's restaurant. Nina is fired for being late and thus the day is set in motion as Jose tries to help Nina with her decisions concerning the unborn child.

What I loved about this movie is the reality of it. It shows the beauty and pain of life. We come face to face with the struggles of a young woman dealing with a unplanned pregnancy. We see and feel the pain and agony in her interior struggles, the pressures of life and the future. We also see, in Jose, what I believe is the face of pro-life activities. Jose does not preach, plead, beg, or condemn. Jose becomes a friend. He gives of himself freely, totally, and faithfully to Nina during this 24 hour period. He is there for her. He offers some advice but mostly he just listens and witnesses, through his actions, to the beauty of all human life.

On Jose's part we see the pain and suffering that he endures for doing the right thing. He chooses not to take the easy way out and it costs him dearly. This too is a picture of the reality of the human experience. In Nina, Jose finds healing for his painful past and Nina finds a true friend who loves her without reserve.

I cannot recommend this movie enough. It is really beyond words, you must experience it. Please check out the trailer and please, please, please buy advanced tickets. This movie, because of its subject matter, is obviously being shunned by the culture of death. They need your help and my help in making it available to as many as possible. So, I want to encourge you and challenge you to get tickets and either use them yourself or give them away. Buy a set of ten and give them to friends, relatives, co-workers. This movie has the potential to change hearts and save lives.

For more information on the movie and how you can help goto the Bella Movie page.

Comments