The Seasons: A Poem

Sunrise over Amazing Grasses Family Farm The mad Artist wields His brush, Painted colors rush, To life and give flush, Before the quiet autumn hush. The life seems to pour, As colors fall to the floor, To be seen no more, Outside the dark, grey door. Brightness from below, Sun upon the snow, High, cold clouds blow, Flakes and ice appear to grow. The man melts with little seen, Underneath, pale, grey green, Hides life in dark unseen, Waits for warmth and to careen. Buds on branches show, Patience starts to grow, Trickles, streams and veins flow, Bringing fruits of melted snow. Sprung to life it springs, Bees, birds, sound rings, Lush green flings, Its gift bounty brings. Green growth gives one last rush, Underneath the Painter's brush. The mad Artist wields His brush, before the quiet autumn hush. More poetry is available from James M. Hahn in  The Last Dragon and Other Poems  available now. My new book of cryptogram puzzles " Secret Messages from the Saints " is avai

Sacrifice

Readings for Monday of Holy Week

Yesterday I was sitting on a stool in the bathroom beside the toilet cleaning out a soiled cloth diaper (stay with me) as my refreshed 20 month old looked on. The thought came to my mind that he doesn't appreciate what I am doing for him at this moment. He doesn't understand the sacrifice, although small, that I am making for him at this moment.

As I pondered this I realized that I didn't appreciate the sacrifices my mom and dad made until I had children of my own. Not until my first child was born did I realize the work that they did to raise us boys. Not until I was rocking a feverish child, cleaning up stained carpet, and wiping artistically designed walls did I fully realize how much my parents loved me and sacrificed for me. Without going through what they went through I don't think I could fully appreciate their love and find strength to give that love to my own children.

I believe I can take this thought further, to the Cross, literally. Often times when I sit and meditate on the Crucifix I feel like my 20 month old. I look on with a loving, silly, smile on my face not fully realizing what sacrifice is being presented here because of His love for me. This is partly because our images have been so sanitized but that's another post.

The question is "how can I fully realize the power and love of this sacrifice?" The answer, I hope, is obvious, "no greater love is there than this, to lay down ones life for a friend." In order to fully appreciate that love shown for me through that messy act of the cross, I must suffer, I must willingly lay down my life for others. Only then, can I fully understand His love for me. In addition, that witness in my life will inspire others to do the same. Love begets love and sacrifice begets sacrifice.

Comments

Often times when I sit and meditate on the Crucifix I feel like my 20 month old. I look on with a loving, silly, smile on my face not fully realizing what sacrifice is being presented here because of His love for me.

What an excellent analogy. I just realized that I do that same thing. I only recently converted to Catholicism (from atheism) and I've found that I have a hard time really internalizing what happened at the Crucifixion since it's all so new to me.

Thank you for this insight, and for giving me a lot to think about as we approach Good Friday (my first as a Catholic!)