Do You Love Me?

I read today's Gospel through tears of joy. I was profoundly touched by the conversation between Jesus and Peter. I was moved to tears by the gentleness and compassion Jesus shows to Peter, and to us if we but ask.  The gregarious, outspoken disciple is finally humbled by the Lord and recognizes, maybe for the first time, that Jesus truly loves him, trusts him, forgives, and forgets all of Peter's failings and weaknesses. This passage is moving but we would do well to first read the entire 21st Chapter of John, a mere 25 verses to really understand how the relationship between these two men has moved to an entirely different level. John brings his Gospel to a close by taking us back to the very beginning of the relationship. Back then, Peter was out fishing all night, catching nothing, before his first encounter with the Lord. Here too, Peter, who is at this point confused, wrestling with emotions of hope and guilt, joy and sorrow, is out fishing all night catching nothing. Ag

What I want

A blog is like a personal journal with a large audience. You get to see my thoughts, feelings, growth, failures (to a degree - wouldn't that be some blog! - just an honest open posting about what is happening to me each day - scary). Anyway, here is a look at two things I have been pondering lately. Nothing deep here, just two things that I want. Just to let you know, I am an idea man but not always or often (see trying to be brutally honest with myself here) a man of action. This is both a gift and a burden. My mind is always racing to a new idea yet I never get anything accomplished or at least it seems that way to me. Anyway.....again....here are two things I want right now in life. The first is trivial, the second I have been seriously thinking of making myself. I'll shut up now or quit typing or what ever I should say in this instance!

1) I want a men's health / fitness magazine that is about men's health and fitness. I'm trying to get into shape, lifting, and all that and I would like a magazine that focuses on that. If you don't know what I'm hinting at - God bless you for your innocence! Look at any men's health and fitness magazine and tell me what it's really about! I'd be embarrassed to have my kids, wife or mom find a copy on my weight bench!

2) I want a new Bible. Now, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the written word of God. But I'd love to combine the best of the different versions. Here is my dream Bible - It is a RSV-CE edition. It has built-in tabs. It has Navarre Commentary and NAB cross-referencing. In addition, plenty of room in the margins - heck just give me margins! - to write notes and comments. This could be done in one, two or 73 volumes. Again, just some ideas.....

Comments

I'd like a bible like that. I switch which translation I read each year.
James M. Hahn said…
I find myself reading through the NAB, RSVCE, and DRV almost every day because each one has something good. I just wish I could put them all together. Like I said, I'd also like room to write notes and stuff because it's a pain to write in a notebook and then have to go search for it later on. I may just have to work on publishing this myself! ha!