Happy 16th Birthday Catherine Therese!!

Although you'll never read this my sweet Catherine, I love you. 16 years ago you changed our life forever. All of your siblings have done this in their own way but you have done so in a very special way. You have made me more empathetic, compassionate, and much more prayerful. Your smile lights up the world around you and we are all blessed by it.  It's not easy living with a saint. You remind me of my weakness and limited time on this earth. You challenge me to go deeper within myself and find what the Lord is trying to teach me...usually patience. You are made in His image and likeness but He uses you so that I can see my own beauty, goodness, and shortcomings.  You struggle mightily against me with every bath, diaper change, and wardrobe change. I struggle mightily with Him against all the changes He wills in my life. You depend on me and your mom for even the simplest of things. You teach me to depend on Him for everything and not rely on my on strength. You teach me that I

Day 4

I know, without a doubt, that the prayers of all of you and the prayers that you ask your friends, family, churches, and neighbors to say are winning grace for us from the throne of God to keep on going. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I don't know what else to say but thank you.

I don't know if you can guess or imagine from the posts but each and everyday is a roller coaster ride. One hour I can be flying high looking into the future, dreaming of my little girl sitting on my lap, wearing pink, or walking her down the isle. The next hour I could be begging God through tears for her very life. Like the Tim McGraw song - "take the very breath you gave me, take the heart from my chest, I gladly take her place if you'll let me. Make this my last request, take me out of this world, but please don't take the girl." Those of you with tears, smile, it's an awesome ride no matter what!!!!

The day started great with Mass at St. Patrick's which is only a few minutes from the RMH (Ronald McDonald House). We came back to check on Catherine and met with the doctor who was at the delivery. Like every other doctor, he reminded us, "she is a very sick little girl but she is showing great signs of improvement." He really helped us by showing us one of the first ex-rays of her lungs when she arrived and compared it to the latest ex-ray and there is a world of difference.

We decided that it would be best for the boys and us if we began switching watches. So, I took Nicole home today for some much needed rest. I hope and pray she is sitting on the deck looking at the green hills, listening to the big brothers play, watching the birds swoop, listening to the chickens cluck and relaxing.

After dropping Nicole at home I drove back to our home-away-from-home. I went straight to see Catherine. She is sooo very cute. She was squirming like a worm which did her dad a world of good since he hadn't seen her move since she was born! I sat by her bed and watched her move her little arms back and forth, make a fist and release. It was beautiful to watch.

The nurse told me that if she continues this way they hope to transfer her to a different ventilator possibly tomorrow. That was the other thing, I saw her arch her back and take some breaths. Again, something I hadn't seen since Friday.

I'm heading over there now and hopefully we're still in the high mode. Either way, I trust Him and I thank Him for her. What a gift this girl is to us all.

Thanks for the prayers! Hope to post again soon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Those of you with tears, smile, it's an awesome ride no matter what!!!!
That's what life is all about, for a son of God.
Thank you!