The Seasons: A Poem

Sunrise over Amazing Grasses Family Farm The mad Artist wields His brush, Painted colors rush, To life and give flush, Before the quiet autumn hush. The life seems to pour, As colors fall to the floor, To be seen no more, Outside the dark, grey door. Brightness from below, Sun upon the snow, High, cold clouds blow, Flakes and ice appear to grow. The man melts with little seen, Underneath, pale, grey green, Hides life in dark unseen, Waits for warmth and to careen. Buds on branches show, Patience starts to grow, Trickles, streams and veins flow, Bringing fruits of melted snow. Sprung to life it springs, Bees, birds, sound rings, Lush green flings, Its gift bounty brings. Green growth gives one last rush, Underneath the Painter's brush. The mad Artist wields His brush, before the quiet autumn hush. More poetry is available from James M. Hahn in  The Last Dragon and Other Poems  available now. My new book of cryptogram puzzles " Secret Messages from the Saints " is avai

How to be a Saint

In today's Gospel we see Jesus as the new Moses, the new law-giver.  With Moses, however, the law was written by the finger of God upon stone tablets.  With Jesus, it is God himself writing the law upon the heart.  Moses gave a list of things not to do.  Jesus gives a list of blessings, a "how to be a saint" list...

1. Blessed are the poor in spirit - To be a saint I must work on a spirit of detachment.  The blessing of being poor in spirit means that I am able to differentiate between the gift and the Giver.  St. Francis of Assisi is a great example of this beatitude.

2. Blessed are those who mourn - To be a saint I must develop a deep love for others and their cares.  The blessing of mourning means that I am able to feel the suffering of others in my own heart.  The Blessed Mother is a great example of this beatitude.

3. Blessed are the meek - To be a saint I must put others first.  The blessing of meekness means I will live a life of JOY - Jesus, Others, You.  St. Vincent de Paul is a great example of this beatitude.

4. Blessed are those that hunger and thirst for righteousness - To be a saint I must work for well being of others.  The blessing of  this desire means that I will work for the well being, physical and spiritual, of those around me.  Blessed Mother Theresa of Calcutta is a great example of this beatitude.

5. Blessed are the merciful - To be a saint I must develop the practice of mercy.  The blessing of being merciful means that I assume the best about others and their intentions.  Saint John Paul II is a great example of this beatitude.

6. Blessed are the pure in heart - To be a saint I must keep focused on God in all things.  The blessing of being pure in heart means that I would prefer death rather than to commit one sin.  St. Maria Goretti is a great example of this beatitude.

7. Blessed are the peacemakers - To be a saint I must work toward peace.  The blessing of being a peacemaker means that I will work to heal even the smallest divisions in the world around me.  St. Rita is a great example of this beatitude.

8. Blessed are those who are persecuted - To be a saint I must be willing to endure persecution.  The blessing of persecution means that I am willing to lose my life for the love of God and His will.  St. Maximillian Kolbe is a great example of this beatitude.

"Saints are not abnormal cases to be studied by a modernistic doctor.  The were - they are - normal, with flesh like yours.  And they conquered." - St. Josemaria Escriva.

Comments