Happy 16th Birthday Catherine Therese!!

Although you'll never read this my sweet Catherine, I love you. 16 years ago you changed our life forever. All of your siblings have done this in their own way but you have done so in a very special way. You have made me more empathetic, compassionate, and much more prayerful. Your smile lights up the world around you and we are all blessed by it.  It's not easy living with a saint. You remind me of my weakness and limited time on this earth. You challenge me to go deeper within myself and find what the Lord is trying to teach me...usually patience. You are made in His image and likeness but He uses you so that I can see my own beauty, goodness, and shortcomings.  You struggle mightily against me with every bath, diaper change, and wardrobe change. I struggle mightily with Him against all the changes He wills in my life. You depend on me and your mom for even the simplest of things. You teach me to depend on Him for everything and not rely on my on strength. You teach me that I

The Struggle

My posting has been hit and miss. It has reflected my faith journey lately. I have been seriously struggling with what I believe. This is hard for many to believe but it is a serious condition that I label "Intellectual Catholicism." This is a situation in which one knows Church teaching, can defend Church teaching, can preach and teach Church teachings, but has a difficult time living it or even believing it. In other words, its all in the head but not in the heart.

Today things are much better. I started praying the Liturgy of the Hours again last night and today. I'm getting back into the habit of daily scripture reading and meditation. I am also planning on Confession Wednesday if not sooner.

How does this happen? How do the low spots in the walk of faith occur? There is no single answer but a combination of answers. The greatest problem is selfishness. I actually became comfortable in my disbelief because in my mind it excused me from culpability. Another problem, that my wife pointed out in her own loving way, is that I am melancholic. I see the world as it out to be. I have in my mind the way things are supposed to appear and when they don't work out that way I am crushed. My view of the faith was easily crushed when you consider the state of things in the Church today - scandal, liturgy, etc. Yet, when I reflected on this it made me realize that in throwing in the towel I was no longer part of the solution but part of the problem.

This faith thing is difficult at times. It seems as though the darkness has left for now, though I still struggle with some things, and I praise God for that. Please pray hard for me and for our Church who so desperately needs men and women to stand up and fight.

Comments

James,

I just came across your blog so I don't know much of your history. But I can tell you that we all go through "Dry Times". Faith is tough but it is what is necessary for Salvation. I thing that Reconciliation and the Eucharist restore the Grace we need to keep lively in the Faith. Humility and Faith....God will take care of the rest...

Do you have access to an Adoration Chapel?
James M. Hahn said…
Kevin,
Thanks for the comments. Yes, as I look back I see dry times for sure. This past one was especially difficult. But it was not without growth and fruit. Yes, I do have access but I don't take advantage as I should. Thanks for reading!